Blogroll

Monday 19 March 2012

Broken Arrows


Here's a quick nail art I put together earlier, well actually not so quick, but with a little trial and error and a little swearing (whoops) I got it down in the end!

I was inspired by Fee at Make Up Savvy, and wanted to create a manicure for Spring with a twist! As you can see I created an arrow, V shape effect on my tips using 17's Tropical Island. I began by painting my nails with my newest favourite shade, Mint Green by Barry M. I then applied sellotape when the nails were completely dry at an angle across the tips of the nails. PLEASE make sure your base colour is completely dry. I made the mistake of applying the tape too soon and ripped half the green polish off - insanely frustrating!!

When applying the tape or manicure strips, apply them at an angle which reaches just off centre. The more prominent you want the V shape to be, the more steep an angle you apply the tape. Then use this as a stencil to paint on the tip colour of your choice. Wait til the nails are thoroughly dry before peeling away and reapplying on the opposite side, using the same process to create the arrow shape.

I did figure out that I could create the V shape free hand after messing one of my nails up repeatedly. So, if you don't have the patience to wait for the polish to dry again and again, and if you have a steady hand, I recommend having a go at creating the look free hand without tape or manicure strips!  

27 comments:

  1. I have the exact same Blue from BarryM! And I love it! It is so IN right now! :) X

    ReplyDelete
  2. awh, really pretty :) Love the colours you've used - may have to have a go at recreating them myself! thanks for the tips :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though it was frustrating for you, it was worth it because the end result came out nicely! Whenever I experiment with nail art, it's always through trial and error too, so don't feel bad lol I'm just not talented when it comes to that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love those colors together, fun look doll xx
    my blog: boho vanity

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really pretty and very on trend

    www.lookwhatigot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really good I love the combo. I was thinking of trying something similar with Orly's Ancient Jade and a hot pink. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out :)

      Delete
  7. Ohh I'm so happy you girlies like my nails!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look lovely, remind me of Kim from Sweet Monday's too! I'll have to get on to something like this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are lovely, I really like the colours :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look fab, Marie! Really simple but so effective.. I might have to give these a try, makes me think I might be able to create them even though I struggle to paint my nails neatly normally! Haha x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this nail look! I feel like my nail are SO boring now :) I'll have to give this a go :)

    Love, Vanilla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like all the frustration was worth it in the end, they look lovely! The colours look great together too xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. love this combination! I once wore the bluey/green colour on my nails but with the orange on the ring finger xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the combo of colours, perfect for spring! Your so good at nail art!

    http://thefashiondistrictnlc.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow these look great! I have the green colour which I adore! These look great and are a bit 1920's, check out my blog for ones that I've done like it. Not as neat as yours though! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so hot! Slash I appreciate the fact that there's someone else out there who is too impatient to wait for the layers to dry over and over again :p

    Lea x

    http://shebeginstosee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paha my boyfriend had to leave the room, that's how frustrated I was getting!

      Delete
  17. This looks really cute! I get SO frustrated when I do my nails, always end up buggering them up right at the last minute, and then I swear quite abit too haha oops! xx

    http://beautyandablogger.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow these look amazing! Love the colours you used too, they're right on trend for spring:)

    whatrebeccasaid.blogspot.com xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea!

    http://cookiescoffeecouture.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are really cute! Love the two colours together :) x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love that minty green its such a great summer colour! fab blog :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look so good! i tried doing this a while ago but obviously i didnt let the nail varnish dry too and the same happened to me haha. Think i need patience to do this ♥

    ReplyDelete